The Ritual - Adam Nevill

(2011) 

Genre: Horror
Synopsis: When four old University friends set off into the Scandinavian wilderness of the Arctic Circle, they aim to briefly escape the problems of their lives and reconnect with one another. But when Luke, the only man still single and living a precarious existence, finds he has little left in common with his well-heeled friends, tensions rise. With limited experience between them, a shortcut meant to ease their hike turns into a nightmare scenario that could cost them their lives. Lost, hungry, and surrounded by forest untouched for millennia, Luke figures things couldn’t possibly get any worse. But then they stumble across an old habitation. Ancient artefacts decorate the walls and there are bones scattered upon the dry floors. The residue of old rites and pagan sacrifice for something that still exists in the forest. Something responsible for the bestial presence that follows their every step.


***

Review: I'm not a regular reader of horror novels, although I felt very okay reviewing Bird Box by Josh Malerman. Possibly because that was more supernatural/psychological horror than traditional Blair Witch horror, but either way, reading this book was definitely me stepping off the beaten track and as such if you're a horror aficionado then take my opinion with a pinch of salt. I did enjoy this novel, for the most part, but I enjoyed it in the way I enjoyed the film The Ruins - it was something that was distinctly entertaining and for the duration of time I spent with my eyes affixed directly to it, but which I'll never feel inclined to return to after this review. My reference to The Blair Witch Project was apt, because this book feels very similar in style (less witch, more Pagan god).

I've never been a fan of the woods, because too many horror films set in them scared me as a child, and I will admit this book scared me. Which is unusual. I had to actually sit up in bed, turn on the light, and distract myself for a while before attempting sleep. This novel is highly readable, and despite its length I tore through it in two days, eager to find out what happened. I found the 'bestial presence' genuinely unnerving and compelling - I really wanted to know what it was. I also genuinely liked the characters, even if I didn't exactly think much of them, and I felt that the balance of character development - in conversations between them about their friendship and subsequent drifting apart - versus the actual horror and suspence, was great.

All those positive things said, it still felt lacklustre. As I said, it's forgettable. And, about two thirds of the way in, it takes a bit of an unusual turn, which I seriously did not like. It made logical sense, I guess, but it also seemed a little too far off the wall and made the transition from 'this feels unnatural' to 'this is downright impossible' without enough credibility to hold itself up, even with the suspension of disbelief. I definitely only kept going towards the end to find out what would happen. I have since heard lukewarm reviews of Nevill's other books, and despite the readability of this one and the fact that it did scare me, I don't think I'd bother picking up any of the others.

Rating: 4/5

No comments: