The Sky Is Everywhere - Jandy Nelson

(2010)

Genre: YA Fiction
Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life - and suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two boys. Toby was Bailey's boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie's own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris. For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide world exploding.


 ***

Review: Firstly, I think it worth pointing out that I read an ebook edition of this novel, meaning I did not have the benefit of the apparently beautiful photography in the UK edition, featuring Lennie's handwritten poems and musings on random objects. That probably would have knocked it up to a 3.5, but even then I just wasn't hugely taken in by the story. I will admit that a lot of the writing is quite beautiful, if bizarre and senseless in the case of most of the sky references (and horrendously annoying in the case of anything that comes out of Sarah's mouth).

But unfortunately, I felt the plot and characters were very thin. It does take quite a lot for any male YA character (designed to be the object of someone's affections) to impress me in any way, but even without that I felt that the more 'positive' male figure, Joe, turned up out of absolutely nowhere, fell in love with Lennie within days for no apparent reason (see Bella/Edward) and as such the entire thing rang hollow. His personality doesn't even figure into it. Toby was somewhat more credible; the only character acting in a justifiable capacity. While I don't think it's a reaction I would have, I can see why the gaping hole left in his life by one Walker girl might be filled physically by that of the other. I get the concept of needing physical reassurance that the death of a loved one has not also sucked oneself into non-existence. As for Lennie... I can't buy her need for similar comfort from Toby, considering she self-admittedly had never even noticed boys before that. At a stretch, I can understand taking comfort in Joe, and feeling guilty about that, but Toby? No. I'm sure it happens, but it's not something I'm going to relate to or sympathize with.

I actually thought the most interesting thread of the novel was one of the least explored ones - the consideration of the missing mother Paige Walker (this thread being literally the only respite from repetitive scenes in a remarkably minimal amount of settings, involving Toby, Joe, or the solo bridges between the two in which Bailey is lamented.) There was just nothing of substance here. We didn't know Bailey enough to lament her ourselves, Lennie's emotions are so fickle its hard to grieve through her, and really if it hadn't been for the nice writing and curiosity about their mother, I doubt I would have finished it. Really not sure what all the hype is about.

Rating: 2.5/5

No comments: