Dangerous Games - Teri Terry

Genre: Fantasy/Young Adult
Synopsis: Sixteen years after Luna took on the might of PareCo, her daughter Liberty is fighting for her independence, fighting for her freedom, fighting to discover who she really is. Constantly pushing the boundaries of what she can do in the virtual space of the void and still survive in the real world, it is only a matter of time before Liberty goes too far. And when the mysterious Ex offers to tell Liberty all her mother's secrets, it seems too good an opportunity to resist. But how will Liberty know what is real, or who she can trust - especially when it seems that the future of the void, and of the non-virtual world it connects to, may be at risk of destruction?

*** 

Review: Eh. I wanted this to be amazing, and I wanted to love it. Unfortunately, it reads like a tacked-on afterthought that offers explanations inconsistent with the feel and tone of the original book for things I needed no explanations for, as well as a Deux Ex Machina way of providing a happy alternative to the sad ending of the original book. Not entirely sure why I'm even giving it three stars, to be honest. I guess because I did enjoy reading it - as with Mind Games it's extremely creative, original, and well-written. I adored some of the newer concepts in it, like Liberty's abilities with silver and the Void. I was even fairly okay with Liberty's origins, though they are pushing it a little bit.

 But... this is only a short story. And a short story is not an effective medium for introducing and explaining a massive game-changing element to an entire world and what it consists in. One of my original complaints about Mind Games (which I otherwise absolutely adored) was that there was a little too much packed into one book, and it would have made a great duology. Had the concepts in this novel been greatly expanded on and turned into the second part of a duology along with the excess from the first book, it could have been a really great fantasy/sci-fi blend with transcendental qualities. Perferably without the deus ex happy ending.

Alas, that is not to be, and honestly, while I enjoyed aspects of this story, I'm going to go right on pretending it doesn't exist.

Rating: 3/5

No comments: