Follow You Home - Mark Edwards

Genre: Thriller/Fiction
Synopsis: It was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime, a final adventure before settling down.
After a perfect start, Daniel and Laura’s travels end abruptly when they are thrown off a night train in the middle of nowhere. To find their way back to civilisation, they must hike along the tracks through a forest…a haunting journey that ends in unimaginable terror. Back in London, Daniel and Laura vow never to talk about what they saw that night. But as they try to fit back into their old lives, it becomes clear that their nightmare is just beginning…

*** 

Review: Well this was.... interesting. I grabbed this book off Kindle Unlimited with the hope of getting a fairly mindless but hopefully fun (bonus points for well-written) thriller. I (think?) I got all of those things... not entirely certain about the 'well-written' bit, but it was definitely readable. Having read another thriller (same motivation) immediately afterwards, Follow You Home was definitely the better of the two. While it had some issues - primarily that it didn't do a great job of weaving together two distinct plots - it was original, refreshing and creative enough to hold my attention.

I liked most of the characters, although I wasn't overly concerned about any of them except Daniel - he's a nice enough fella, and most of the book is focused on him. Alternating between past and present, Daniel gradually reveals the mystery of a terrifying event which happened to him and his girlfriend Laura while on a trip around Europe. The reveal of what was happening (one of the two main plots) was my favourite part of the book, and I wish it had been the sole central story. The other plot was not really credible, and in parts quite flimsy.

Overall, if you're a fan of dodgy thrillers like I am, it's a grand one for a rainy day, but I wouldn't recommend it - mostly because I doubt I'll even remember it in a month's time.

Rating: 3/5

No comments: