The Death of Bunny Munro - Nick Cave

✰✰✰
Genre: Fiction
Synopsis: Set adrift by his wife's sudden death and struggling to keep a grip on reality, Bunny Munro does the only thing he can think of - with his young son in tow, he hits the road. An epic chronicle of one man's judgement and death, "The Death of Bunny Munro" is an achingly tender portrait of the relationship between father and son.

*** 

Review: I'm forcing myself to write this review because I want to review every book I finish, but.... I have very little to say about it. It was weird, I knew to expect that going in, I had been reliably informed about the strangeness of its content and its existence in general. And I kind of enjoyed it - honestly I'm not really sure how I felt about it. This is literally the worst review I've ever written, isn't it?

I definitely didn't not like it, it amused me in parts, it fascinated me in parts, but ultimately I came away feeling like there was some bigger picture that went completely over my head, because I saw no purpose to the story and no heart in its telling. You generally need at least one of those for a solid read. I did read somewhere though that this book was written in a matter of weeks, so maybe the whimsy is all there is to it. The words 'or something' were tacked onto a lot of similes, and that got real annoying real fast. Not sure if it was an attempt to make Bunny seem less poetic or simply laziness, but it was the one genuinely irritating feature of this book. I also felt the kid didn't really act much like a kid of his age, and didn't in any way find this to be a 'tender portrait' of any relationship, let alone that between father and son.

I haven't been put off reading Cave's other novel, which has better reviews, but this one evokes little more than indifference in me.

Rating: 2/5

No comments: