The Driver's Seat - Muriel Spark

Genre: Fiction/Thriller/Mystery
Synopsis: Lise is thin, neither good-looking nor bad-looking. One day she walks out of her office, acquires a gaudy new outfit, adopts a girlier tone of voice, and heads to the airport to fly south. On the plane she takes a seat between two men. One is delighted with her company, the other is deeply perturbed. So begins an unnerving journey into the darker recesses of human nature.


*** 

Review: This is a quick, fairly easy and extremely quirky little read.

I'm taking a star off because I felt the ending lacked the shock and 'oopmh' I feel a lot of other people experienced. It wasn't that I expected it - I had vaguely guessed what was happening and only totally figured it out a few pages before it's clarified - but I had just gotten to the point of accepting the random words and actions of this seemingly unhinged person that I don't think ANYTHING she did or said was going to shock me. That said, I read some discussions about this book after finishing, and I will say that a lot of details fall into place - it's quite fun to think back over the the events of the novel and work out how they all slot into the bigger picture.

If there's any bigger message behind the story, it went clean over my head, and most of the discussion I've read about it seemed to be about identifying the aforementioned details which imply the ending throughout the book, so I think a lot of other people are content to read it on the same level as me. I've noticed a comment or two about female autonomy, so there might be something about that in there?

Anyway, it was quick and easy, random and fun to consider after the fact of reading, so yeah, it was good fun for something a little different.

Rating: 4/5 

No comments: