Before I Go To Sleep - S. J. Watson

Genre: Thriller
Synopsis: As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I'm still a child, thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me... Memories define us. So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep? Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love--all forgotten overnight. And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story. Welcome to Christine's life.

*** 

Review: Ehhhhh. People are raving about this book and I don't get it. It's pretty well written, in the sense of the sentences are not unpleasant to read. It's not amazingly well written in terms of plot and pacing. The premise is a great one - it's not original (see "Memento" - actually, *I* should see Memento again, it's a good film) but it's one that has a lot of room for creativity. This wasn't an overly creative novel. The first half or so was pretty repetitive - and while the writing was decent enough to make the repetitiveness endurable I would have preferred better writing that didn't make it feel repetitive at all. I guessed the two biggest twists less than two thirds of the way through, pretty much simultaneously, and had to stop myself skimming as I approached the inevitable ending, so there wasn't a huge amount of 'thrill' for me in this book.

The characters.... they weren't amazing. I didn't really care for any of them, I didn't see any real threat in any of them, even the one I suspected and who turned out to be the bad person.Short review because meh. Originally I gave this three stars (it takes me a while to write these reviews, so they usually consist of initial impressions and a rating, expanded upon with reflection), but in an unusual move for me, I'm actually now downgrading it to 2 stars. Normally my rating doesn't change between intial and final thoughts, but this one is barely even memorable.

Rating: 2/5

No comments: