I See You - Clare Mackintosh

Genre: Thriller
Synopsis: You do the same thing every day. You know exactly where you're going. You're not alone. When Zoe Walker sees her photo in the classifieds section of a London newspaper, she is determined to find out why it's there. There's no explanation: just a website, a grainy image and a phone number. She takes it home to her family, who are convinced it's just someone who looks like Zoe. But the next day the advert shows a photo of a different woman, and another the day after that. Is it a mistake? A coincidence? Or is someone keeping track of every move they make . . .


*** 

Review: I was looking forward to this book for so long, having loved the author's previous novel I Let You Go. My expectations were unrealistically high - I let You Go is known for having the twistiest twist in current thriller fiction, pulled off with such finesse that it alone made the book stand out a mile. That, obviously, was not going to happen again - it would be very difficult to pull off a second time, and I didn't expect it to happen. I did hope there would be some other element of I See You, however, that would make this book as unique in its own right.

That said, the fact that it didn't is okay - it was a thoroughly enjoyable read, because even without anything particularly unique about it, Mackintosh is a bloody good writer. With both books, I've known that no matter where the plot goes, the writing is a treat in and of itself. I just think her characters are really realistic, I can picture them as actual people who might exist. The premise behind this novel is also not one I had read before, and I really enjoyed it. It was creative and impossible to figure out what was going to happen.

I guess the only real fault with this novel, as was slightly the case with her previous one, is the ending. I found it Girl-On-The-Train level unbelieveable. Not just the big reveal of the antagonist, but actually more the motivation behind the whole story. There was one reference to how a character acts which was barely illustrated at all in the novel, and really does not amount to a reason for acting crazy unless you're already crazy.

That said, apart from the big reveal and showdown, it was  a great read. I'm underselling it here, to be honest. Oh, also, kudos for the stunning cover. It's teal, but made of light. Dem colours, yo.

Rating: 4/5 

No comments: