Jools Sinclair - 44

(2011)

Genre: Paranormal/thriller
Synopsis: Last year after falling through the ice, seventeen-year-old Abby Craig woke up from death.
But she woke into a world she barely recognizes. She can’t see colors, memories have been erased, and her friends all hate her. And then there’s Jesse, who she loves, but who refuses to forgive her the one mistake she made long ago. Just when she thinks it can’t get any worse, the visions begin. In them, she sees a faceless serial killer roaming the streets. While the police believe that there have been a lot of accidents in town lately, Abby knows differently. And she soon realizes that it’s up to her to find him.



***

Review: This book was a free Kindle e-book, which I downloaded mostly because it seemed to have a lot of 5 star Amazon reviews, and I thought, "surely so many people can't be totally wrong?"

I stand corrected.

The only positive thing I can say for this book is that there was something about it that made me want to read to the end just to find out what happened, but I really don't think that stemmed from anything good about the book. The plot is thin, the editing is almost as bad as the writing in places ("I took the exam as best I could", "I headed over to the Tv, found Fringe and settled in") - what? Just, what? Actually, speaking of Fringe, which is amusing because Fringe knows how to do Paranormal well, this book drops names like nobody's business. It may as well be advertising a bunch of books, tv shows and musicians. Despite the meandering plot, it is all quite easy to follow (mostly because nothing besides the core essentials occur, but also because it's very simple.)

The characters are undeveloped and dull, the relationships between them are non-existant, and only on returning to Amazon once it was finished to read with great incredulity these 5 star reviews that convinced me to download this.... thing, did I discover it's supposed to be a paranormal romance. Never mind that half of the romance ignores the other half for almost the entire book, and then jumps up to finish off the novel with a twist that is basically unrelated to the entire novel up to that point, while completely dismissing the main plot with, essentially, 'by the way, nothing happened'.

I could talk forever, really, about the myriad ways in which this book sucked monkey nuts, but it's just not worth my time. The only redeeming feature of it is the fact that it didn't cost me anything, except valuable time which unfortunately I won't get back. This is definitely the most scathing review I've ever written, but this book really needs to be avoided.

Rating: 1/5 (and it only gets the one because it had that mysterious 'Twilight' quality that kept me reading despite how bad it was.)