The Alchemyst by Michael Scott


(2010)
The Secrets Of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel: Book 1

Genre: YA/Fantasy
Synopsis: Nicholas Flamel is acknowledged as the greatest Alchemyst of his day. The secret of eternal life is hidden within the book he protects - the Book of Abraham the Mage. In the wrong hands, it will destroy the world. And that's exactly what Dr. John Dee plans to do when he steals it. And if the prophecy is right, Sophie and Josh Newman are the only ones with the power to save the world as we know it.



***

Review: I have reservations about this book - mostly about the lacklustre writing and the fact that I didn't really warm to many of the characters - but there is definitely something very compelling about it. The more I learned about the intricate backdrop Scott devised for the story, the more I warmed to the overall concept. Rather than create his own fantastical creatures from scratch, he has woven all the myths and legends of our word, across all cultures, into a diverse but unified whole, and I really liked that about it.

I also love where the story is going - the author threw me a few curveballs which I didn't see coming, but I loved them all. Hekate, and her part in the story, easily is one of my favourites as I really didn't see it coming and it genuinely moved me. I also like the title character and his foe - and the fact that even at the end of the first book I'm not entirely sure which of them I can really trust.

All in all, an enjoyable read, and while nothing spectacular on the surface, it alludes to a richer depth which I'm hoping will come into its own in later books. At the very least, it has inspired me to track down the house of the historical Flamel - the oldest stone house in the city - next time I'm in Paris.

4/5