In A Dark, Dark Wood - Ruth Ware

★✰✰
Genre: Thriller/Mystery
Synopsis: Nora hasn’t seen Clare for ten years. Not since Nora walked out of school one day and never went back. In a dark, dark wood there was a dark, dark house. Until, out of the blue, an invitation to Clare’s hen do arrives. Is this a chance for Nora to finally put her past behind her? And in the dark, dark house there was a dark, dark room But something goes wrong. Very wrong. And in the dark, dark room… Some things can’t stay secret for ever.

*** 

Review: Hmm. This was one of those strange books which, although I know it wasn't very good, I enjoyed all the same. A guilty pleasure, I suppose. The writing was not terrible, although it wasn't great at times, and I suppose that made it more readable; making it easier for me to plow through to the end and satisfy my curiosity about whodunnit.

The actual plot, though... and the characters.... not so much. It certainly had potential, but ultimately there is too much that makes very little sense and it all amounts to an anti-climactic reveal that really does not lend itself to the extent of the drama that occurs before it. It kept me guessing right until the end, but that's mostly because the end didn't make a whole pile of sense.

So why on earth did I enjoy it so much? Honestly I don't know, but it definitely held my attention. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment. I honestly can't recommend this novel, unless you feel like reading the equivalent of a b-movie that's so bad it's curiously enjoyable. All the same... I think that might appeal to some people the same way it appeals to me!

Rating: 3/5

No comments: