Dear Amy - Helen Callaghan

Genre: Psychological Thriller
Synopsis: Margot Lewis is the agony aunt for The Cambridge Examiner. Her advice column, Dear Amy, gets all kinds of letters - but none like the one she's just received: Dear Amy, I don't know where I am. I've been kidnapped and am being held prisoner by a strange man. I'm afraid he'll kill me. Please help me soon,Bethan Avery/ Bethan Avery has been missing for years. This is surely some cruel hoax. But, as more letters arrive, they contain information that was never made public. How is this happening? Answering this question will cost Margot everything . .


*** 

Review: This novel has a really interesting premise (I really do love a good mystery in my thrillers), the writing was good, the story was good, I quite liked the characters- for all intents and purposes, it's a solid read.

It's been a while now since I've read it, and of the four books I've read so far this year, this one has definitely stuck with me the least. Even though that it itself is probably grounds for knocking it to one star lower than the other books, I can't entirely remember now what exactly it was that missed the mark a little for me about this book. I have a feeling it was that I wanted it to be more fleshed out, and maybe more detailed, than it actually was - which of course is a quality that is reduced anyway when broadly recalling a story. I guessed the twist pretty easily, so maybe I wanted to be more shocked or surprised, and just didn't get that.

The fact that I haven't a huge amount to say here also indicates a less than stellar read. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, I just found it a bit lacklustre. I'd recommend it as a good one to pick up if you want something pretty quick and easy to get through, without getting too dark or complex. 

Rating: 3/5 

No comments: