Ragdoll - Daniel Cole

Genre: Crime Thriller
Synopsis: A body is discovered with the dismembered parts of six victims stitched together like a puppet, nicknamed by the press as the 'ragdoll'. Assigned to the shocking case are Detective William 'Wolf' Fawkes, recently reinstated to the London Met, and his former partner Detective Emily Baxter. The 'Ragdoll Killer' taunts the police by releasing a list of names to the media, and the dates on which he intends to murder them. With six people to save, can Fawkes and Baxter catch a killer when the world is watching their every move?

*** 

Review: Having seen this on Goodreads and added it to my wishlist, a very kind friend passed on an ARC of this novel for me to read, and it really is a cracker. My reading mojo has been very out of sorts lately, so I stopped and started a little for the first couple of chapters but it didn't take long for it to completely reel me in. It's both the first novel in a series (Detective Fawkes #1) and the debut novel by the author, but it honestly reads like an installment in an already well-established series.

There's a very cinematic quality to this novel - I can really see this translating excellently to the big (or small) screen. It's an action-packed thriller, as frequently disturbing and creatively violent as laugh out loud funny. As my friend who forwarded the book observed - it has just the right balance of humour to prevent the darker elements weighing it down too much. The mystery surrounding the 'ragdoll' and the mystery of how the killer continuously stays one step ahead of Fawkes and Baxter are both really intriguing. I wound up tearing through the book to find out whodunnit, and more importantly, how?!

My only criticism is that I wasn't too keen on the resolution/ending. It was good, and it was pretty well done for what it was, it just wasn't something that really appealed to me personally. I have to say though, I can't imagine how on earth Cole can follow on from where this book leaves off, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Rating: 4/5

No comments: